Not A Typical Teenager: Orchestra

Wednesday, 26 November 2014

Orchestra

I attend my local orchestra every week, and I really enjoy being able to play music with other musicians in my local area. It's a fantastic experience and I would never give it up.
However, in areas near by, free music lessons are being abolished to save the governments money. Well, this is not the way to do it.


I have free violin lessons in school and am currently at a grade 5 standard due to the fact that my teacher was ill all of the time, through no fault of her own, and was in for roughly 5 lessons over a 2 year period, but still that doesn't matter to me. The fact that I can play an instrument is fantastic and I wouldn't trade it for the world.


However, nobody likes practising scales in their room on their own. As a musician, I like to play music with others. To make music with others. It changes how you feel about all types of music (I know that sounds really really snobby but it's true). It is just fantastic, and it is a way to make new friends.


If they stop free music lessons in the one area and it saves the government money, they will do it in other places and before long, there will be no-one to play the classical orchestra instruments like violins, trumpets etc. And it will be the government complaining in 15 years time that there is no-one doing GCSE music who plays these instruments, and it will be their fault.


And once the lessons go, they will never come back.


Stay un-typical


Ashleigh xxx