Not A Typical Teenager: Mental Health and Self Harm

Thursday, 1 October 2015

Mental Health and Self Harm



**WARNING - LONG POST ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH AND SELF HARM**
People with mental health issues often write posts to people who do not suffer with them, about understanding and things, and I get that you are trying to educate people and to help people understand.

There are people who do not suffer with mental health issues, and are trying to understand what you are going through, so please help them.

This has been the gist of so many of my posts to date, and I don't just want to reiterate this point again. So I thought I would take this post in a different direction.

This post is about not suffering with mental health issues and about my experience; one which I haven't shared in this much depth upon my blog before.

I have helped 2 people through mental health issues (or at least attempted to), and they have been 2 very different experiences. I am not going to name names or pin point anyone, but just discuss my experience.

The first person was someone who self harmed, and was a boy. He had self harmed for a few years before I started talking to them and continued to for a while after I started talking to them. I didn't really know much about mental health or self harming then (not that I really understand that much more now). But I tried my best to help him.

I was always at my phone texting this boy, and asking him if he was okay. If there was even the slightest thing wrong I told he could tell me and I think most of the time he did. There were times where we would talk and he would all of a sudden just go. Not text me back. And I didn't know what to think. Had he done something horrific? Had he taken this all too far this time? I would cry myself to sleep. I worried about him so much.

Things started to get better for him, and slowly he stopped self harming. He put the razors away and left it. Now it has been a year and 3 months since he stopped self harming, and I am so happy and proud of him.

The second person I have attempted to help has been a girl. God, do I love this girl so much. She is really amazing and I have known her for some time. I have had some quite in depth conversations with her about how she feels and I sometimes find myself wondering how she gets out of bed in the morning, but she does. I never know whether things are getting better or worse with her, because I think she likes to keep her feelings to herself about it all in fear of upsetting others.

I don't think this post will do much.

Because when you are helping someone who is in this position, how can ever feel bad? How can you ever justify any negative emotion you have when you know that there are other people in far worse positions and in a far worse mental state.

I kept so much from this boy when I was helping him because:

  • I didn't want him to stop coming to me for help because I felt bad, because I really wanted to help him.
  • I felt like my sadness wasn't comparable to his sadness.
I never did self harm. My sadness was never that bad, but I just needed someone to cry to.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that perhaps we need to tell the people we help how we feel so they can know that even the happiest people feel down sometimes; and even we need cheering up.

If you need anyone to talk to, my email is bracesandglasses128@gmail.com . If you need to talk to someone, please don't be afraid to get in touch with me.

Stay Un-Typical 

Ashleigh xxx

image via here

2 comments :

  1. What a fantastic post! You sound like a great friend to have around! Mental health is tough on everyone and it effects so many more people than we often realise! Keep up the good work but make sure you take care of yourself and don't take too much on your own shoulders xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I have tried my best to help. I do try my best to take care of myself, but I know that someone close to me is struggling kore, I can't help but try to help xx

      Delete