Not A Typical Teenager: Dreaming of Bright Lights

Sunday, 22 November 2015

Dreaming of Bright Lights

Basically, I didn't know what it was that I wanted to write about today, but now I know and this is going to be cool. . . . Hopefully.

I watch this youtube called dodie clark (doddleoddle, view channel here), and she is amazing, but I just listened to her new original song and I've realised something.

Dreaming is a beautiful thing. Dreaming of where you're going to go and what you're going to be is really exciting. I think about it a lot, and I know exactly what it is I want to do and today I'm going to share that.

I love music. I always have. And I love writing songs. Many of you know that I write songs but I'm going to talk about that in a little more depth.

When I was in year 2, I picked up ballet and stopped after about 3 months, maybe a little more maybe a little less. I also picked up karate and then dropped it after probably the same amount of time. Neither were something I was particularly passionate about.

When I was 9, I auditioned for violin lessons in my school, which were free. I got in and picked up the violin. To start with, I wasn't really that fussed with it, but I stuck with it to see if it grew on me. . . . And it did. I think it really hit me when I first went to orchestra and I played in the junior section where all the beginners went. During the concert, after the junior and training orchestra played, the seniors came out. They were young people who were grade 3 or over. They played live and let die and I loved it. I knew that one day, I wanted to be part of that orchestra and play music that advanced.

I carried on with violin through year 7 and 8 and then picked up piano aswell. I also started percussion lessons in school. For all the instruments I played, I only payed for my piano lessons because they didn't run in school and I was having them privately.

Now, at the age of 16, I play in the senior youth orchestra for area and I love it. I reached where I wanted to all those years ago when I was eight. I still play piano, and I still love it, I have also played ukulele for a while now. I don't have violin lessons anymore, because I have to pay for them within school now as they took free lessons away, and I don't want my parents to have to pay £120 a term for me to have lessons.

So what do I want to do? I tell most grown ups I want to be an engineer, because that sounds realistic and it makes sense because I like maths. For A level I took further maths, physics and computing. Telling people I want to be an engineer seems pratical. What I really want to do is write songs Perform songs. Be a songwriter. Surround myself with music and play music with other people. To have the feeling of euphoria I get when I play and to feel the ecstasy I do when I write a good melody every day. I want to be onstage and perform things that I have written. I want to develop musical connections with people. It was why I started my youtube. I want to write and I want to perform.

Getting there is going to be tricky and maybe it will al become just a hobby. But right now, all I want to do is write music.

What is it you want to do? Do you think what you want to do is unrealistic? Do you think what I want to do is unrealistic? Let me know in the comments below.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx


No comments :

Post a Comment