Not A Typical Teenager: DofE Expedition Hacks

Sunday, 27 March 2016

DofE Expedition Hacks

The Duke of Edinburgh award is something run in the UK (I don't know about abroad), which allows young people aged between 14-25 to achieve a qualification for volunteering, skills, physical and an expedition activity. (you have to do all four to achieve the award, for more information on the award, click here).

Last week, I undertook my silver practice expedition, (which is why there was no blog post). This week, I want to give you my tips and hints for carrying out your expedition.

1) Look your route up on google maps before you go
On each day of your expedition, you will have to walk roughly 15km along country paths. If map reading isn't your forte, take a picture of the map your using while planning your route and look it up on google maps when you go home. This can be especially helpful if the maps you are using are old. You'll know exactly where your going on the day.

2) Pasta
If you like pasta, take lots of pasta and sauce. It's great for energy and reasonably compact and light.

3) Tupperware instead of bowls
I find portable stove a nightmare to clean. Take Tupperware and don't mix sauce into your pasta until it's in the Tupperware. This way, you won't have to scrub you stoves as much to get them clean.

4) Check the weather
This isn't just for making sure you have packed the right clothes. It's also to make sure you pack the right sleeping bag. I froze last weekend because my sleeping bag was so thin. Don't make the same mistake.

5) Drink a hot drink before you leave in the morning
It'll warm you up and, let's be fair, hot chocolate is great

6) Take treats
Food is probably my biggest motivator. I find it so much easier to walk knowing that when we stop, I can crack open an angle cake or brownie. Not only does it give you an energy boost; it makes you feel a lot more positive about the day ahead.

7) Think about equipment
You will have to share a tent with at least one other person. You will also have to share a portable stove. Is it really necessary for you both to bring things to wash your portable stove with. No, not really. Pack smart.

8) They make the practice worse than the qualifier
This sounds really stupid but there is a reason behind it. They do this so when you learn from you're mistakes within the practice and learn how to pack more efficiently, the walking for the silver is easier. They know that if you could do the practice, you will be able to do the qualifier.

These are my top tips for the expedition. What do you think? Have you done your dofe. Anything to add. Let me know in the comments.

Also, I'm looking to do a Q&A post, so please leave your questions for me in the comments, tweet me some questions @_Not_typical_ or email me your questions using the link at the bottom of this post.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx

1 comment :

  1. I know these tips will be useful, as I did my Bronze a while ago. I've got my Silver practise coming up and will definitely be using some of the ones on here that I hadn't thought of.

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete