Not A Typical Teenager: Always Smart, Never Pretty

Sunday, 17 April 2016

Always Smart, Never Pretty

People talk about equality in today's society. It's such an important thing. It's important for everyone to be equal. It's important that I'm seen as equal to my male counterparts when going for jobs and places in university (if I go).
Girls are saying they want to be seen as more than a pretty face. That they want to be something more than the surface of their skin. And it makes perfect sense; we are all more than what first meets the eye.
Since I was little, I've been told that I'm clever. That my intelligence is going to take me places. It sounds really arrogant, but people all around me have told me so: family, teachers, friends. When I was younger and I played games with my friends, where we used to pretend we were characters from our favourite programs. I was always 'the smart one'.
I was treated like a mature student in school by teachers. I was never bullied and practically everyone in my year knew who I was because my name was 3 months into my first year in high school because the board of pupil of the half term featured my name nearly the most (there were 2 people ahead of me. I counted too. It's sad I know).
Fast forward to 5 years later and I'm still considered smart. I'm in the high achievers group in school and part of a network of high achieving students in the local boroughs. I'm still one of the smart ones, and I'm reminded of that almost everyday in school when I'm told I should be applying to uni, not getting an apprenticeship, because I could get into a good uni.
But here's the thing (and kind of the point of this post). I'm smart but not pretty, or maybe I am pretty, but I'm not told it. I'm made more aware of my brain. As we went through high school, my closest friends were sought after by different boys and I watched them go through by after boy who told them they were pretty or beautiful. People I crushed on liked my friends, not usually me.
It sounds stupid. These two things aren't directly linked, but I guess I would have liked to be told I was pretty. I knew I was good at my subjects. My grades proved it to me. I was good enough for me, and I was told that I was good enough for the teachers, and family. But I was never the pretty friend.
I have a boyfriend who tells me I'm pretty, but he kind of has to. I know technically he doesn't, but when he tells me so, I tell him he says it because he feels he has to.
There is a movement of girls saying they want to be seen as more than something pretty to be looked at. This is a great movement, but I feel like it would be nice to be looked at as something pretty every once in a while.
What do you think? Have you always been told your smart but not told you're pretty? Do you wish people would see below the surface? Let me know in the comments.
Stay Un-typical
Ashleigh xxx

2 comments :

  1. your = possessive, e.g. "your homework";
    you're = you are

    Do you even smart, bro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, apparently not 😂 fixed the one I found, but I'm not sure if there are anymore spelling errors.

    ReplyDelete