Not A Typical Teenager: 8 Things I wish I'd Known When I Started Blogging

Sunday, 29 May 2016

8 Things I wish I'd Known When I Started Blogging

http://www.nfrc.co.uk/images/default-source/
nfrc-images/blog-banner.jpg?sfvrsn=0
I started blogging on the 29th of June 2014. It's been nearly 2 years now. I've learnt so much from doing this, although there are some things I wish I'd known before I started; and here they are.

1) Your email inbox will remain quiet
I thought I would be receiving comments and emails when I first started blogging, but it takes time before people start to comment on what you write.

2) It's about quality; not quantity
When I first started out, I was posting almost every day, and it was giving my page views a spike so I thought what I was doing must be right. However, it didn't take long for me to realize that quality is what retained your readers, not quantity. People won't keep returning for lots of bad content, but they will for good content.

3) Use social media in the right way
If your looking to up your views, social media is a great place to start. However, it's important that you don't spam people constantly with links to your blog. Be nice, talk to new people, comment on other blogs. Being nice will be helpful.

4) Be consistent
Don't promise your viewers a new post every week if that's not what they're going to get. Don't start a social media platform that you aren't going to use. Give your viewers consistency or notice if your going to be inconsistent.

5) A good quality post takes a long time to write
It can take all of 5 minutes to get down a quick draft, but good quality content takes time to create. Give it the time it deserves and your viewers will too!

6) Layout is important
The layout of your blog is what draws readers in. We all prefer to look at things that we find aesthetically pleasing, so make your blog something nice to look at. People are more likely to stay if the time you put in is visible on the page

7) Do an "about me" PAGE
It's easy to try and cram you "about me" page on the side of your blog and write something short and sweet. However, chances are if people want to know about you, they want to know more than your age. It's not limited to a character count; this isn't twitter after all. Make your "about me" section a page and talk about yourself. It's probably the easiest subject to talk about.

8) Be patient
So you've hit a creative wall? So what your views have taken a dip? It's not the worst thing in the world. The important thing is that you don't give up. If you don't keep writing, you won't break through the wall. If you take your blog down, you'll have no views. It takes time; all good things do.

These are a few things to remember while you get started. Do you have anything to add to this list of things for blogging beginners? Do you have any questions about anything on this list or anything else blog related? Let me know in the comments or email me at bracesandglasses128@gmail.com.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx

No comments :

Post a Comment