Not A Typical Teenager: My Mental Health Experience

Sunday, 22 May 2016

My Mental Health Experience

My post on Wednesday (here), was about the introduction of a new hashtag to get people to talk about their mental health so we can all support each other and help remove the stigma around it, so today, I'm going to talk about my own mental health experience.

My mental health has always been good, and I've never really struggled to keep my mind in a positive state. My main mood is happy. Exams are stressful, and I put a lot of pressure on myself which can leave me feeling a bit negative, but on the whole my mental health is great.

I think this can make people wonder why I care so much about removing the stigma around mental health issues. It's mainly because lots of my friends have suffered and still suffer in silence because of the stigma around mental health, and it makes me feel pretty useless and unable to help. I can't relate to them. I just feel that if the stigma were removed, no one would have to suffer in silence anymore, and everyone could help each other.

Maybe I'm just really na├»ve. I'm a happy person. I love being happy; who doesn't? But I want to help other people feel the same. I did another post more in depth about a few of my friends I've spoken to about mental health (here).

I suppose it's difficult to feel helpless. It's awful to watch the people closest to you suffer, and I just want to help. I know how difficult it is to come out and talk about your mental health experiences if they've been negative, but your experiences might just help someone else through a tough time, and let you know you're not alone; because you aren't.

I challenge you to do something brave and share your own experiences somewhere. On twitter, using the #KeepThisConvoGoing, in the comments, on Reddit, wherever you feel most comfortable, and to also reply to someone else. Be there for them, or give them advice. Just please be nice and polite. Let's remove the stigma, and spread the love :)

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx

No comments :

Post a Comment