Not A Typical Teenager: Summer of Matcha: Raspberry and Mint

Sunday, 15 May 2016

Summer of Matcha: Raspberry and Mint

Obviously, I'm very excited
to be making some Matcha
Tea.
This week, I applied to the Summer of Matcha competition and
received my free sample of 10g in the post as well as instructions for when making the tea. I picked the original flavor of tea because I felt that this wouldn't limit me to just one flavor, and I could then experiment with a lot more flavor than I could if i'd picked the mint or ginger, because they are quite specific. I was very very excited to try and create a recipe that tasted great, but I still wanted the recipe to be healthy, as that's kind of the idea of Matcha tea.

So yesterday, I took a trip to Tesco and bought about £15 worth of fruit to experiment with so I could pick my favorite flavor of tea/smoothie/mocktail. I made a few different drinks and then picked my favorite.

From the title of this post, you can see the winner was raspberry and mint, so here's the recipe and the steps.

Ingredients
Blender before blending
  • Raspberries - 20
  • Mint leaves - 3
  • Ice cubes - 5
  • Honey - add to your taste
  • Milk - 2 tablespoons
  • Matcha Tea - See instructions
  • Boiling water - half a mug
Utensils
  • Blender
  • Sieve/Strainer
  • Glass
  • Spoon
  • Mug
  • Ice Cube Tray
Instructions - Before making
The Ice Cubes look pretty
awesome when they're done
  • Put the kettle on to boil
  • Fill your mug with two table scoops of Matcha tea
  • Pour half a mug of boiling water over the tea and whisk
  • Pour this mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze
Instructions - When making
  • Repeat the first 3 steps of before making
  • Put your raspberries, mint leaves, ice cubes, milk, and the Matcha tea you just prepared into the blender and blend for a minute then pulse for thirty seconds
  • Put your blended mixture through a sieve. This may take some time, and I suggest you mix the mixture while it's in the sieve to get out as much liquid as you can
  • Taste the strained liquid. Is it too bitter for you? If so, add a tea spoon of honey and mix thoroughly. Repeat this step to taste.
  • Pour into a fancy glass to make it look more like a cocktail than a smoothie
  • Take your ice cubes out of the freezer; they look really cool
  • Add them to your glass
  • Take a picture and tweet me your fantastic looking smoothie @_not_typical_
  • A smoothie in a champagne
    flute because it looks
    freakin' awesome!
  • Enjoy!
I didn't decide the ingredients based upon their health
benefits, but here are some health benefits of the ingredients.

Raspberries contain strong antioxidants like vitamin C and Gallic acid, which help to fight against cancer and heart and circulatory disease.

Mint helps to cleanse your palate and also aids digestion, and so is good for an upset stomach.

Honey contains both flavonoids and antioxidants which reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. They can ease your throat if you have a sore throat or cold, and it can help to improve your skin.

Thank you so much for reading. I hope you enjoyed this post, please share it around and give it a try. Let me know how you go if you do try it.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx


No comments :

Post a Comment