Not A Typical Teenager: Teenage Relationships

Sunday, 12 June 2016

Teenage Relationships

http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/4679083_700b.jpg
The teenage years are fragile ones. A child transforms into an adult and every emotion is heightened (so I've been told). So today I'm going to talk about relationships among teenagers. About my experience, but also about social expectations of relationships.

I should probably start by sharing my experience. I have had one serious boyfriend who I am still with. We have been together for nearly 2 years now, and things are going great. We've had our ups and downs but we're still going strong. We were friends for a year and a half before we got together, and I had liked him and he had liked me but not at the same time before our relationship flourished. I would say that before we got together he was one of my bestfriends.

I think that one of the most untrue things portrayed in the media is what the feeling of  love is. In the media, love is portrayed as this feeling that you cannot comprehend unless you've experienced it and it is totally and utterly impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't felt it. I disagree completely, and it made me question my own feelings when I got together with my boyfriend. For me, love was when I had a bestfriend who I wanted to share lots of experiences with (like you do a best friend), but also someone you want to kiss (which isn't something you want with a platonic relationship really). Other people may disagree, but this is just my opinion.

Another thing I would say the media suggests, is that people are either in a relationship, talking to someone that, in a tv show, they will inevitably end up with, or are happily single. This is so far  from the truth. Disney channel have got this wrong, because it's so much more complicated than that (and not every teenager is straight, but another time).

Also, it is often portrayed that if there is competition for someone  romantically, that the one person will be lovely and the other will be a horrible person and no two friends ever like the same person. This isn't true, because sometimes, friends can like the same person and it can be really difficult to overcome these types of things within a friendship.

People are also actively looking or relationships, people want a connection with someone, and that's  totally fine too, but we need to make sure that people who want connections aren't portrayed as needy in the media, because that translates to peoples attitudes and judgements by people.

Then there's the issue of being the last one to lose 'it'. Fortunately, among my friends this isn't an issue, becuase none of us really care. However, I know one of my friends feels under pressure to lose 'it' because all her friends have and it's a topic of conversation among all of her friends and she gets told it's not a big deal, but it is if it hasn't happened to you yet. Young people shouldn't feel pressured into doing things in order to fit in, it should be culturally accepted that different people are ready at different times, and losing your virginity doesn't make you a grown up or more mature at all, it doesn't influence who you are so why do we really care about it?

Thanks for reading. This has been kind of a long post but never mind. Do you think my definition of love is correct? Would you add anything to my list of differences between the media and real life? Let me know in the comments.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx

2 comments :

  1. I really enjoyed reading this! I am glad you mentioned how the media portrays young people and relationships and how this is not always accurate. I am thinking of doing my own blog post highlighting my own experiences with relationships (or lack of) as a young person. There is many different reasons why young people can't have relationships, many in which the media never explores, which I know all too well about! Lovely post- keep up the good work x

    thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! It's a lot more difficult than the media portrays it!

      Delete