Not A Typical Teenager: Being with an Introvert

Tuesday, 26 July 2016

Being with an Introvert

My last post was about what it's like to be an extrovert (you can read that here). This post is kind of linked to that (only a little, but it'll give you some background).

My current boyfriend and I have been together for nearly 2 years. I am an extrovert and he is an introvert. We work together really well, and so I'm sort of going to talk about the dynamics in our relationship and how our introvertedness/extrovertedness impacts this.

Just going to start by saying I shall not be revealing his name or any social media, (not that any of you would care anyway, just thought I would let you know).

Our relationship started because he plucked up the courage to kiss me for all of a tenth of a second. This quiet lovely human managed to pluck up the confidence to do that. He then proceeded to ask me out. I was quite surprised at all this, yet I said yes.

Whenever we go out for food (always to Harvester, Mmmmm!)I'm always asked to do the talking at the front desk. He can order his own meal and since we've been together, he does now go himself. I don't know whether it's confidence or comfort or whether he generally feels less nervous around me now. Either way, he can do it now.

It seems to just work. The fact that one of us is extroverted and the other is introverted works quite nicely. It works the same way as how in a relationship, you tend to have a dreamer and a realist. This works well because it allows the dreamer to set realistic goals and the realist to do more than the things they know they can do. The same principle applies here. The extrovert helps the introvert attend more things and keeps them company while they do so, while the introvert keeps the extrovert from doing stupid things, and can also introduce them to the wonders of a night in, and how nice being alone and learning how to love your own company can be.

I think the most valuable thing I've learnt from being with an introvert is that other people need their own space and not everyone likes to be talking to someone 24/7 like I do. Some people have less social interactions but value them more; and that can be a very beautiful thing indeed.

What do you think? Do an extrovert and introvert balance eachother out? What are the important lessons they can learn from each other? Let me know in the comments.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx

6 comments :

  1. This is a great balance for a couple!
    Mia x | my-world-vibes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a great balance and it is good that there are different people, it would be boring if we were all the same xx
    http://www.blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely true. I would hate to live in a world where we are all the same.
      Ashleigh xxx

      Delete
  3. As an introvert and my partner is also an introvert it can be tough, as the more talkative of the 2 I also have to be the social situation barrier sometimes. I find over time he's become more comfortable with me and so can be a bit more out going. A great post Ashleigh!

    emma.
    Not Copper Armour // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes things a lot easier that one of us is extroverted and the other is introverted, the balance is great. I'm glad to hear your partner is becoming more comfortable around you; that's a great sign!
      Ashleigh xxx

      Delete