Not A Typical Teenager: Blogging vs Story Writing

Tuesday, 2 August 2016

Blogging vs Story Writing

These are 2 very different forms of writing, and it may seem a little strange that I'm about to try and compare them, but I have thought this out in my head and I think this works.

Blogging is a very new style of writing (compared to the art of telling stories it is anyway), and I am interested as to how these two styles of writing compare in many different ways.

Firstly, the perception of both. I think many perceive being an author as being very difficult and blogging as being quite an easy job. I think on the whole this is probably because when you look at people like J K Rowling, who invested many years of her life into writing one story (okay, seven books, but one story), it can sound tiresome. People also know now that the Harry Potter series was declined by several publishers before it was eventually released. Rowling must have worked her absolute butt off to get those novels out there.

However, there aren't many major bloggers in the public eye. Okay, so we have Zoella, but she is, on the whole, famous for her videos and I think more people know her as a youtuber than a blogger. Because there aren't many, if any, famous bloggers in the public eye, people don't really understand how bloggers make their money. I think many people believe that blogging is more a hobby, and that it only entails sitting and writing for 10 minutes, publishing your post and posting the link on twitter, when in reality it is so much more than that.

Personally, I would say that I find blogging easier, simply because I get small bursts of inspiration, sit and write a post, (and do whatever it is I need to do along with that), and then promote, promote, promote. I like to write short pieces about lots of different things rather than a long piece about one thing. On top of this, I think I could come up with a basic idea for a book, but I would really struggle to develop the characters.

My style is to write and post. I don't plan and I don't re read because I think that makes me sound to strained and like I'm trying to hard (that's just me personally, I don't want to filter my writing because it makes me sound forced), but I know that if you're an author (or a good quality blogger!), you have to re read what you have written to make sure it's all phrased correctly and the grammar works and I just can't do that because I start to cringe at what I have written.

I think that as a blogger you have to promote more. Writing a post doesn't take too long, but as a blogger, there is a somewhat constant cycle of write, publish, promote which you can move around at  fast pace, whereas an author may take longer to move around this cycle, as books take longer to write than blog posts.

What do you think? Is blogging made to look easier than it is? Could you write a book? Let me know in the comments.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx


4 comments :

  1. Blogging is definitely made to look easier than it is. It requires so much time- but more importantly dedication. My blog is like a second life to me. I would love to write a book sometime in my future. But I think it would talk a lot more work than a blog to be honest. I think they're both difficult jobs for different reasons- I guess that's what it comes down to.

    Lovely post!! xx

    https://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! I think being an author is a lot more work, but I think the gap is exaggerated by the media.
      Ashleigh xxx

      Delete
  2. This is a really interesting thought! I think writing a blog post is easier than writing a book but that it is still a hard thing to promote blog posts. Obviously you could not promote but then your posts wouldn't be read.
    http://www.blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think blogging is easier, but I think the media over exaggerates how easy blogging is
      Ashleigh xxx

      Delete