Not A Typical Teenager: Classical Training vs Self Taught

Friday, 5 August 2016

Classical Training vs Self Taught

Today I want to talk about the differences between being taught by someone against taking the time to teach yourself. There are pros and cons to each, and I am going to cover some of those pros and cons today. I have been classically trained in violin and piano, but am self teaching my self ukulele. I think it's something people looking to learn an instrument think about, because we all want the best results.

I'm going to start with motivation. I would say that if you are going to self teach, you need bundles of motivation, because you are going to have to keep yourself motivated throughout this entire process. If you have a teacher, you feel more motivated to practise because you have someone to impressand someone who wants you to do well. If you don't practice, you don't progress. 

Another factor is money. If you are going to be taught, usually you will have to pay for your tuition. I pay £10 for a half hour piano lesson. Other people will pay more for tuition, others lessons. Whereas if you self teach, you don't need to pay anything to learn, although you will need to buy an instrument.

When you teach yourself you can play whatever you like, but with a teacher, you tend to follow a specific set of books. Personally, when it comes to this I think being taught is better, because the skills you learn from the books the assign you teach you skills that are transferrable to other songs. They are usually teaching you necessary technique.

Overall, I would say that I prefer learning with a teacher, but what do you think? Would you prefer to teach yourself? Is paying for lessons over rated? Let me know In the comments.

Stay Un-typical

Ashleigh xxx 

2 comments :

  1. I'm with you and love learning by a teacher but I can understand why others don't. Loved this! x

    Kate// katerosexo1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people should pick the method they find most productive.
      Ashleigh xxx

      Delete