Not A Typical Teenager: Social Media and Fiction

Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Social Media and Fiction

image via here
People (tend to) only show the best side of themselves on social media; and this is a problem.

When I go though my Facebook for example, I see people who have been to parties, people who have been abroad and people who have just got married. This is great, good for you. I'm glad that your enjoying your life and are open to sharing your happiness with your friends and family. But I think a lot of people sit and scroll through their social media feeds and wonder why their life isn't as good as others.

The answer is probably that you have a great life too, but maybe in a different way. You may go to just as many parties as the next person, but you don't post it on social media, or maybe your parties just aren't at the same time as everyone else's.

No one posts the bad things though. Not really. Because people don't want other people to know that they are having a rough time. The people they want to know they will tell, but they are unlikely to post things that are going badly on Facebook.

This gives people unrealistic expectations as to what happiness looks like, and this isn't really good for anyone. Even the people who you may think look the happy probably aspire to live the life of someone who posts even more photos of parties and good times than they do.

This brings me onto my next topic in the post which is fiction writing and films. I love reading. I have read quite a few books this summer, and I'm really enjoying it. However, the style of books I'm reading are romance books (at least I think that's the genre they would come under), and I find that these can give girls and boys an unrealistic view of what relationships should look like. I know that they're FICTION, and it's silly to think that they are real, but when a books is set in the real world in a modern day society, it make sit feel more realistic and makes you think that that's what all relationships should be like.

Because of the style of books, at the moment, in every book, the guy gets the girl. But in real life, that isn't the case. The guys doesn't always get the girl, and it makes people think there might be something wrong with the way they are approaching relationships.

There isn't really a way to change this that I want to give, it's just a subject I wanted to talk about.

What do you think? Do you think that there are unrealistic standards put on us?  Can we fix it? Let me know in the comments

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx



2 comments :

  1. Social media definitely creates a fiction because people only share what they choose to share. I think that once you realise this, it becomes a lot easier to see through it all xx

    blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, it's difficult to make the realization, but once you have it s so much easier
      Ashleigh xxx

      Delete