Not A Typical Teenager: Teaching Healthy Relationships In Schools

Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Teaching Healthy Relationships In Schools

I did a post quite a while ago now about things I believe we shoud be taught in school, (you can view that post here), and one of the things I suggested we should be taught about in schools is healthy relationships. Within this post, I sort of just want to highlight the reasons why I believe we should be taught about healthy relationships. I am going to do this by covering the different types of relationships people can have.

Friends
This isn't so much about teaching people how to form friendships, but more about the importance of maintainting friendships. I also think if this subject were broached in schools, it may make boys more likely to open up to their friends about issues they would otherwise keep to themselves. I think it's also important for people to understand how to recognise a toxic friendship, and healthy ways to break a toxic friendship. I know people may think that this is the job of a parent, and to a degree it is the job of a parent, but teachers are quick enough to step in when a pupil is being bullied, and a bully and victim can sometimes be friends before the bullying starts and surely prevention is better than curing?

Romantic Relationships
I'm not for a second saying that teachers should be teaching us how to "pull", or where the best places are for picking up a partner. What I do think is that, firstly, if you're going to te "sex education", cover all kinds of sex. Believe it or not, there is more than just boy and girl. There's girl and girl, boy and boy, etc. We should also be taught about different sexualities. There are so many different sexualities, and in school, we are told about being heterosexual or homosexual.

When it comes to abuse education, I have to give credit to my old school. They brought someone in to teach us about the importance of consent and gave us a definition. He then showed us multiple different clips of sexual encounters and when the clip was over, asked us when we though consent was withdrawn. It was a fantastic lesson and definiely alerted a few people in our class as to what consent is and that it is not only withdrawn when the other person says no.

Family
Home relationships are so important, and I don't think we should be taught how to be good children, but how to perhaps help a friends whose parents are getting divorced or how to deal with problems at home if they occur. I suppose this kind of ties in to friendships and mental health, but I just think that if you have a good mental health, that it can improve your education.

Teaching is hard enough with exams and inspections, but we need lessons on real life skills aswell rather than just the ability to re call random facts in a silent and pressured environment: and I think relationships is an important aspect of that.

What do you think? Do you think it is unreasonable to ask to be taught skills like this in school? Were you taught about any of the things listed above? Would you have liked to learn about these things in school? Let me know in the comments.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx

2 comments :

  1. I would love if we taught all this in school! This post was so good xx
    blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
      Ashleigh xxx

      Delete