Not A Typical Teenager: Am I The Right Kind Of Feminist?

Sunday, 25 September 2016

Am I The Right Kind Of Feminist?

Feminism is something that is all over the internet nowadays. Everyone wants to be standing for the right things and I think feminism gets a bad wrap. I think too many people think it's a group of women who want women to be better than men. This is not true. If you google the definition of feminism, google will give you the following definition:

"the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."

Do not be mistaken. Feminism is not about believing men have it all and only women's rights need to be changed. I believe that there are issues which men face that need to be addressed and fixed. Feminism is about everyone being equal regardless of gender, and if we want to do that, we need to make sure that we don't exclude men from the conversation.

https://merwincn.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/emma_watson_un.jpg
However, because feminism is a rife topic on practically every social media platform, I see lots of conflicting opinions that make me wonder if I am the right kind of feminist. I'm not sure if feminism is as for men as it is for women. I hear many women say "I believe in equality, but I don't believe in feminism," and that makes me wonder if I am a feminist, because I believe in the equality of the sexes too, but if there are people who believe in equality who don't identify as feminists, then what is feminism?

And then, I hear that even if I am a feminist, I have to pick which type of feminist I am. There's radical feminism, social feminism, liberal feminism, cultural feminism, intersectional feminism and probably more that I haven't yet come across. I thought that identifying as a feminist was enough, but there are so many people shouting over each other about what feminism really is that we aren't really making much progress.

So what is the solution? I don't really know. I think we need all feminists to be on the same page and work with each other. Maybe we should be focusing on equality of people regardless of everything rather than have all of these individual movements for different minorities? I don't know, let me know your opinion in the comments.

Thanks for reading

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx


2 comments :

  1. I consider myself liberal and a bit left on the political compass, so I think I'm sort of a liberal feminist. There are lots of myths about feminism, the most seen is "feminists hate man". If you see some negative feminist story trending, it's most likely about "radical" feminism. "Radical" can pretty much twist everything, and people that believes radical feminism are far away from mainstream in the field of feminism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Unfortunately, radical feminism is the one most people hear about.
      Ashleigh xxx

      Delete