Not A Typical Teenager: Asking For It by Louise O'Neill - A Review

Sunday, 9 October 2016

Asking For It by Louise O'Neill - A Review

TW - This post contains conversation about rape and it's consequences
This post also contains some spoilers for the book, but you should still read it, because I want to know your thoughts

I saw this book quite recently in my local library (most of my books come from the library because I read a lot and it's just easier and cheaper this way), and I was immediately drawn to it. I had a very strong hunch about what it was about just by looking at the cover and reading the title. I had never read book about rape, and I thought it might be quite an uncomfortable read because of the subject matter. Never the less, I picked it up and read the book start to finish over 2 days.

This book revolves around a girl called Emma. She is an eighteen year old girl who lives in Ireland. She is popular and smart and incredibly pretty. I found Emma a very likable character, and I felt the way she was written makes the book a lot more powerful. Emma is portrayed as stereo typically 'slutty'. She sleeps with who she wants to, when she wants to, not caring what other people think of her.

Within the book, Emma is sexually assaulted and the books shows the after effect immediately and then a year later. It's quite interesting because I would say that Emma is raped before she is assaulted, but other people might not have the same view point. The book doesn't go into any detail about the assault because Emma doesn't remember. She sees photos on Facebook and finds out what happened there.

Louise shows in this book the denial that rape victims go though along with the difficulty they have returning to their everyday lives, and she does it fantastically. Is it an uncomfortable book to read? Yes, in places. But it's also gripping. How else would I have finished it in 2 days? This book doesn't just show the court case, but what happens when you know the people who assaulted you. How many people won't believe your story, how it can change the relationship you have with your parents and how it can impact their lives outside home just as much as the victims.

I thought this book was a fantastic read, and I really think that if you haven't read it, you should. You can order it off amazon here.

If you have anything to add to this conversation, let me know in the comments or on twitter.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx

No comments :

Post a Comment