Not A Typical Teenager: I Have Friend Zoned My Boyfriend

Wednesday, 5 October 2016

I Have Friend Zoned My Boyfriend

I have mentioned my boyfriend on my blog multiple times before. I did a post about being with an introvert as an extrovert and there have been other posts where he has had a small shout out. This post is sort of about the relationship and connection we have.
When the media shows relationships and love, it suggests that love is this completely unknown emotion anyone who has never felt it before. This is kind of true, because no one tries to explain it. If anyone is ever asked what love is, the answer tends to be something along the lines of “you’ll know when it matters”, “I can’t really explain, I just knew what it was when I felt it” or “If you’ve never been in love, you won’t understand”. I think this is an incredibly lazy definition, because I feel that it is so simple to explain. For me, love is an intense friendship.
And so it should make a lot of sense when I say that my boyfriend is my best friend.
We were friends for a year and a half before we eventually got together, but for about a year of that, I considered him one of my best friends. He was one of the people I told everything to. He was the first person I wanted to tell all of my good news to, and the person whose shoulder I wanted to cry on when something bad happens.
I would say that I love my boyfriend, but because of all of the media that we are exposed to, when I first felt the feelings I am currently feeling, I didn’t think it was love. What I was feeling was just a very intense feeling of friendship and wanting to keep this human safe. It took a while before I figured out that this is what love feels like to me. It feels talking with your best friend all through the night until I have no breath left. It feels like wanting to go on adventures and experience lots of new things with your best friend. It feels like laughing until you cry, and having someone to ring at 3 in the morning when you feel sad.
For me, having a boyfriend means having a best friend. So when I say I have friend zoned my boyfriend, I have, because that's what a relationship is for me. An awesome friendship.
Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx

No comments :

Post a Comment