Not A Typical Teenager: Holding Up The Universe by Jennifer Niven - A Review

Sunday, 6 November 2016

Holding Up The Universe by Jennifer Niven - A Review

I read Jennifer Niven's book All The Bright Places a few months back, and I thoroughly enjoyed it (which can be seen in this post), and so when I heard that Jennifer Niven was releasing a new book, I knew that I had to read it.

This book follows two characters: a girl called Libby Strout who was once labelled America's Fattest Teen, and a boy called Jack Masselin, who suffers with an illness called prosopagnosia (the inability to recognize faces, even of your loved ones).

I really enjoyed this book for so many different reasons. I feel that in the young adult fiction world, I haven't really read many books with a main character who is overweight, and it was refreshing to read a book where this was the case. I think that it helped me realise that some people do live this life, and I think that lots of people will relate to Libby Stout.

I feel that Jack's character showed that even people who are well liked or "popular in school" can be suffering on the inside and can be facing their own struggles. Prosopagnosia was something I had never heard of before, and I found that this element of the book was very interesting because it's so unique and something I have never read about before.

I think what I liked most about this book was that it was such a refreshing take on a very overused concept. I think the fact that Libby is over weight is part of her strength. It has made her the character she is and it has definitely made her stronger. I don't think Jack expects her to be as strong as she is either, and I think that makes the book what it is too.

Overall, I would say that this book was a great read and I would recommend that you have a read (you can order the book from amazon here). I hope that you'll give it a read, and let me know what you think about the book and whether you'll read it in the omments, along with books you would recommend.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx


No comments :

Post a Comment