Not A Typical Teenager: My Parents Are My Friends

Thursday, 24 November 2016

My Parents Are My Friends

As I am currently applying for university (and apprenticeships and other things), me and my friends are talking about what life away from home will be like. This is an exciting feat for all of us; the thought of living independently is exciting and scary all at the same time. However, after talking to some of my friends, I’m realising more and more that some people aren’t moving out because the thought of living alone is exciting, but because the thought of living with their parents any longer than they have to is unbearable.

To me, this was a very foreign concept. There are people who don’t like living with their parents? Personally, I really enjoy living with my parents. I have grown up with two younger sisters, one is 5 and the other 11. I argue with my sisters a lot but I love them both lots and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. I want to stay around to watch them grow up, and the thought that I might not be is saddening.
My parents are some of my best friends in the world. I love spending time with my parents. The relationship that my parents have with each other is the relationship I aspire to have with my boyfriend. They go on so many adventures together and that’s what I want for my future. As I have gotten older, I've also got to go on adventures with them. Going out for food in Bristol the night before the open day in Bath, the three of us went to see Miley Cyrus on her Banerz tour and my dad took me to see U2. I don't want to go away because I like these adventures; they make me happy.
The prospect of moving out is exciting, but I don’t think I’ll ever be ready to leave my house. I want to stay around to watch my sisters grow up and see my family, and chances are that if I move out to go to uni or whatever, I’ll be moving away from my home town, and so it’s not just my parents I’m leaving behind, it’s practically all of my family.
Yet many of my friends have a very different view. A few have said that they want to go to uni just to get away from their house because it feels like a prison. They feel that being tied to a curfew and having to keep your own space tidy is inconvenient and annoying, and so they cannot wait to leave. For them, university is the quickest way for them to get out of their house.
I don’t know what my point is with this post really. I just think it is an interesting discussion to have. Is it better to want to move out? Is wanting to continue living with your parents for now a strange point of view? Does everyone want to move out at 18? Let me know your views in the comments.
Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx

No comments :

Post a Comment