Not A Typical Teenager: Committing To A Career

Wednesday, 25 January 2017

Committing To A Career

I have no idea what I want to do with my life.

That is a lie. I know what I want to do with my life; it's just that there are about 7 things on my list and I have to narrow it down to one. This is so difficult, because there are so many things I enjoy doing in my spare time.

I am currently doing a lot of different projects projects, (running a blog and all of the things that go with that; sort of playing with a band; I volunteer in different places; etc.), and I like to think I am doing them all well, but I am not yet ready to put all of my eggs in one basket. In my spare time, I am so artistic and I do so much artsy stuff, and I am applying to so many different things its hard to keep track of what I'm still waiting to hear from. Plus lots of these are engineering positions because of my a level choices.

Me pretending to be able to play ukulele while modelling for a
project you will see very soon
I have thought recently about trying modelling (thanks to America's Next Top Model), because it looks exciting and it is something I would love to try, and I've thought about pursuing journalism, and looking into writing for a living, but sometimes it can feel like I am deciding too late or that I'm not dedicated enough to any one thing. Do I need to focus solely on one project? Well, when I do, the general consensus seems to be that I am putting all of my eggs into one basket. Yet, when I am doing lots of different projects, I am told that I am spreading myself to thinly and that I should focus on one thing.

It is true that to do something well you have to dedicate a lot of time to it, and I am willing to put in the time to any project I start. It does make me wonder if I'll ever find something that I can commit to solely. It is also true that school puts a lot of pressure on academia and sciences. I have been told that academic subjects have better job prospects, and so that encourages me to go for more academic positions, because the sound of living on popt noodle after studying something and then not being able to find a job in said subject doesn't appeal to me. Teachers don't see blogging a a real job, nor art, nor modelling, and so how can I even contemplate the idea of pursuing something that isn't academic.

I have already mentioned that I am trying to pursue some arty things, like blogging and possibly even lookimg into the modelling industry. I just feel like there is so much I haven't even tried, and so how am I supposed to make a decision about what I want to do when I haven't even tried everything yet?

Many people my age are in the same boat as me and probably lots of people who are older who have started their careers. Lots of people still don't know what they want to do, but I'll be darned if I go into something without having tried as many other opportunities as humanly possible before I commit.

What do you think? Are you in the same position? Does the idea of having to pick a career terrify you without the knowledge of lots of other careers? Let me know your opinions in the comments, and thank you for reading.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx


No comments :

Post a Comment