Not A Typical Teenager: The Thousandth Floor - Katharine McGee - A Review

Sunday, 8 January 2017

The Thousandth Floor - Katharine McGee - A Review

I saw this book in Waterstones recently and I knew that I had to read it. The back of the book really interested me. This wasn't because of the characters or anything, but more because it was set in the year 2118. I've always been interested in dystopian future themed novels, but this wasn't really dystopian. It was more realistic than your average dystopian book, and so I don't think it is classed as dystopia.

This book follows five characters about their life in New York city, where there is now a tower of a thousand floors. This tower has houses, schools, hospitals, parks etc. The tower isn't the only place people can live. You can leave the tower, and there are still people living outside the tower, but the tower is was a very desired place to live when it was first built.

There is a system in the tower. The higher up you live, the richer you are. People who live on the lower floors can sometimes work as maids or shop assistants in places in the upper floors, everyone attends school based on how much they are willing to pay etc.

I really enjoyed this book, and I was really happy to find out that there is going to be a sequel. For me, it was very much a teen drama book, but I liked the idea of it being set in a different time. The idea of this tower and that teens where only really friends with people who lived on the close floors because of the schooling system was a cool idea.

One of the main 5 characters is Avery Fuller, who lives on the thousandth floor. What I liked about Avery was that she was genetically engineered to be incredibly pretty, and this is interesting to me because the mothers of rich girls are usually portrayed as incredibly pretty and apologetic for not being around, but Avery's mother isn't either, and this was quite unusual.

I've heard a few people compare it to gossip girl (I've never watched it, so I don't know), but from my understanding gossip girl is a drama. I sort of agree with this as I felt that the book was a teen drama story, but I feel that that's how the book was meant to be and I liked the fact that it was set in the future.

if you'd like to buy this book, you can get it from amazon here. Let me know what you think if you'd like to read it and why in the comments.

Stay Un-Typical

Ashleigh xxx




No comments :

Post a Comment