Not A Typical Teenager: How To: Pick Your A Levels

Sunday, 12 February 2017

How To: Pick Your A Levels

Studying for your GCSE's can be scary, and a lot of work has to be done to ensure that you get the grades you want. However, during this time of preparation, your also expected to make some pretty significant decisions regarding what your going to do next. Are you going to continue on in school? Do you have to go to a sixth form college? Are you going to get an apprenticeship? These are things that you're expected to be thinking about when you decide this.

When I had to make this decision, I knew it was going to be carry on and do A levels. I knew that I wanted to do my a levels before leaving education, but I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do because there were so many options and so many of them appealed to me. After eventually making a decision, I thought I would share my tips for picking the right a levels for you.

1) Check the option boxes
Wherever you go, chances are that you can only pick one subject from each line (like for GCSE). There's no point in deciding exactly what you want to do, just to find out that you aren't allowed to do it. Complimentary subjects like Chemistry and Biology are likely to be in different boxes because they go together well, but take a look and ask if you can't find the option boxes.

2) Pick a mix of what your good at and what you enjoy
I am doing maths, further maths and physics. I have always been really good at maths, and so it made sense for me to take maths. However, my physics is not as good. I'm currently at a high C in physics, but I really enjoy learning about it. You can't just pick things you enjoy if they aren't going to give you the grades you need, but don't be afraid to pick up one you enjoy and two your good at or vice versa. Find the right balance for you.

3) Don't pick things just because your friends are
To me, this was a bit of a given. If my best friend wants to take art a level, good for them but my ability to draw is incredibly weak, and so I would be useless at a level art. Don't pick things just because your friend is, because it doesn't make sense. Their ability sin't your ability.

4) Don't put all of your eggs into one basket
If you know what to do, good for you. Pick the a levels suited to that. If your likely to change your mind, then you don't want to get to the end of your a levels to have 3 of them which don't suit you anymore. Try to give it a little variety.

5) Take a look at the step after that
What are you looking to do after you've finished you a levels? Look at what you need to pursue the next step. That might help you decide between a couple subjects. Plus, lots of jobs only require one specific a level and then two other a levels that can be anything, so this allows you to hone in on a job but also keep some variety.

6) Ask your teachers
They'll have taught a lot of people in the past, and will know what level people need to be at at GCSE to do well at a level. They'll all tell you it's hard work, but they'll be honest about whether or not they think you could do well. After all, they care about your education and the pass rates of the school.

7) It's not final, so wait until your results
It's important to remember that you don't have to make your final decision until you know how you did in your GCSE's, so for now, your okay to do a little research and decide what you want after that.

So what do you think? How did you pick your a levels? Do you have any tips to add? Let me know in the comments.

Thanks for reading

Ashleigh xxx

No comments :

Post a Comment