Not A Typical Teenager: I Started Blogging For The Money

Wednesday, 8 February 2017

I Started Blogging For The Money

My blog is my pride and joy. It is something I have grown myself, from scratch which has taken me nearly 3 years. I am so proud of how far my blog has come and I can't wait to see where it takes me. I like what I write and I like the response I get to my writing.

However, I will quite openly admit that when I started blogging, I went into it because I was interested in the 'making money' aspect of it. I was a 15 year old who wanted a little extra money. I was still too young to get a 'real job'

I heard that there were many people who had made money from writing on the internet. This intrigued me, because I did want to make some money and I didn't have any better ideas, and so I started a blog.

I don't really know what I expected. Was I expecting to write one or two posts and then all of a sudden people would be throwing money at me to write for them? Fat chance. That's not how blogging works. After writing my first posts and seeing that my blog got 7 views, I felt elated. 7 people had clicked on my blog and read my first post. I was so excited. I know now how bad it can be to tie your happiness to your blogs views, but I did it for the first couple of months. After seeing the way my graph climbed when I posted, I forgot completely about the money had originally wanted. Now it was about the views.

Around the October, I was really getting into my blog. I was really enjoying it, and even though some of these posts are terrible and shockingly angst-y. I can't say that I'm really proud of those posts now, but at the time, I was so happy with the content I was producing (I'm not going to link back to these because they're weak posts now), and I was really enjoying blogging. I didn't even notice the major dip in my views, I was just writing because I enjoyed it.

My blog was a slow grower (probably because my writing was so weak to start with, and when I reached 1000 views 7 months after starting, I was obviously going to be happy. It was a big deal. Since then my views have increased at a faster rate, but it's not something that bothers me anymore, because I enjoy writing; it makes me happy. This is somewhere I can talk about what I want to talk about.

I have worked with a few brands now, and I would love to be able to blog for a living, but that's not what I'm doing it for anymore; I do it because it makes me happy. I may have started for the wrong reasons, but I kept going for the right ones.

Thanks for reading

Ashleigh xxx


4 comments :

  1. I love this post! For the first three years of my blogging journey, I did it simply for fun. Now, that I'm older I've learned a bit more about it. I started doing some sponsored post-- and really enjoy it. It's all about the experience. x

    https://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100%. I do it now because I enjoy it, and it is nice to do a few sponsored posts, but I'm glad that my priorities have changed.
      Ashleigh xx

      Delete
  2. I love that you're honest about starting your blog for the money even if that isn't the case now. Lots of people would have the guts to say that! X

    Kate// itskaterose.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you appreciated the honesty. I just think it's important that we acknowledge these types of truths in the blogging world.

      Delete